Friday, March 8, 2013

Getting paid under minimum and under the table. Help?

Question by Brittany N: Getting paid under minimum and under the table. Help?
Last summer, I worked for a pizza place my dad works at. I was getting paid minimum wage and I was on the payroll. This year, the boss asked me to work 30 hours a week, receiving $ 150 every week in cash. I took the offer because I had no other job available, and I needed the work. Yet, this means I’m only working for $ 5 an hour. Also, he insisted on paying me under the table. This was probably so he could pay me below minimum wage.

I’ve been here for about a month, and the fact that I’m getting paid so low has bothered me, since I’m doing more work than my 4 other coworkers. I’m also here more than they are. I feel like my boss is taking advantage of the situation. I want to do something to stop this unfairness, but I’m worried that I’ll lose my job and I’ll get in trouble with the IRS.

Also, I’m almost 20, and I very rarely get tips (a dollar at most, if any), so I don’t think my job would be an opportunistic one for tips.

Is there any way someone could help me figure out what to do?
Since I didn’t give the info before, I work in Ohio, where the minimum wage is $ 7.30. Also, my dad only works here 2 nights a week delivering pizzas. He could find a job at another pizza place, and he has his day job too. I want to quit, but I’m worried I can’t find another job. I need about $ 1,000 for dental fillings and whatnot, so I need the money bad.

Best answer:

Answer by Danko
That is not fair. I highly recommend that you quit. its really not fair. I don’t know what state you work in but… first off 5/hr is ridiculous. 2nd, your under the table so he can take advantage of you. Do yourself a favor and quit, and possibly call a lawyer to get some legal advice. Your 20, I know you can find a more respectable job somewhere else.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!


Getting paid under minimum and under the table. Help?

Want to buy TurboTax? Check out http://turbotax2012download.net

No comments:

Post a Comment