Saturday, March 23, 2013

Q&A: Is it too late to claim my exemption?

Question by June Bug: Is it too late to claim my exemption?
This is from my W-2 Form from the only job I worked last year. I live in California. I just did a run through on turbo tax and h&r block. I made 17k last year, and they took about 1300 from SS, medicare, state, and SUI/SDI. However, I paid ZERO in federal. Both software says I owe 1250.

Right when I was about to wrap it up, i see THIS:

Exemption/Allowances:
Federal: 1, Tax Blocked
State: 1
*****Next to it, it states “if you are claiming exemption from Federal Withholding, you are required to file a new W-4 form by Feb 15, 2012″ – But the thing is, the W-2 form is the ONLY form my company mailed me.

Does it mean the 1250 I owe is waived? But at the same time, is it too late to claim it?
Allow me to repost this with all the questions answered:

I live with my parents in California, who claimed me as a dependent on their taxes. I just did a run through on turbo tax and h&r block. I made 17k last year, and the government took about 1300 from SS, medicare, state, and SUI/SDI. However, I paid ZERO in federal. Both software says I owe 1250.

This is from my W-2 Form from the only job I worked last year:

Exemption/Allowances:
Federal: 1, Tax Blocked
State: 1
and states at the bottom: “If you are claiming exemption from Federal Withholding, you are required to file a new W-4 form by Feb 15, 2012.”

The only exemption I claimed on my w4 was line B (single w/ 1 job)

Best answer:

Answer by Bella59
June Bug, How many exeptions (dependents) did you write when first hired on your W-4? Did you maybe need a bigger check ‘now’ (who doesn’t?) BUT when the Piper comes (tax time) you pay).

If not, because that’s the only thing I can think of – since you didn’t copy or save your records I’m sure your emplyoyer or former employer will produce another one for you. Or atleast a legal copy. I filed taxes that way once and they accepted it. You either need to call the IRS and work it out for an extention or payments if you don’t have it OR go to a pro and pay. They will do the right thing legally and help you too.

I am appalled at these numbers! Helping the poor and Middle Class. What a shameful example. Did you word 12 months? Wow, before the taxes you did pay and may never even receive the rewards were certainly ‘high’ enough for your income. Looks like you made about $ 146.00 weekly before the taxes you DID pay! Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what I came up with. Who can live on that? I must be wrong. Someone please help her that really knows what they’re talking about. I’m just winging it here.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!


Q&A: Is it too late to claim my exemption?

Want to buy TurboTax? Check out http://turbotax2012download.net

No comments:

Post a Comment