Saturday, March 16, 2013

Q&A: Which online tax program should I use?

Question by Moore55: Which online tax program should I use?
turbotax, taxact, taxslayer, hrblockonline?

I only have W2′s and I live in NY so I need to file Federal & State.

I looked at all 4 websites and all 4 offer free Federal.

For state, Turbotax charges $ 27,95, taxact $ 14.95, taxslayer $ 14.90, and Hrblockonline is free.

1. Which one do you recommend? I’m leaning towards hrblockonline since it’s completely free for federal & state.

2. also, each of these websites offer these “deluxe” versions for around $ 10-20 more and they talk about how they’ll try to find more deductions and all that. Is that just a sweet talk strategy to get more money out of people or will it actually give you more refund???

since I only have W2′s i think it’ll be a waste of $ if i chose a deluxe version but then again I don’t wanna lose out a potentially several hundred $ more refund because i didn’t spend $ 10 more bucks on an online tax program!

thank you very much

Best answer:

Answer by Overnight
I have used both turbo tax and HR Block tax cut over the years and the only differences are purely cosmetic. I have not used Tax Act or Tax Slayer but both have been around for many years and have a lot of people that swear by them, so they must be doing something right too.

It sounds like your taxes are relativley simple, so I would just use whichever one is the cheapest for you. Make sure to decline all the add-ons they will try to sell you. The federal is usually free but the state is where they stick you for money. What state are you in? Your state may have a free option on its department of revenue website. In Kansas they have a free option called “web-file” that anyone can use for free.

Add your own answer in the comments!


Q&A: Which online tax program should I use?

Want to buy TurboTax? Check out http://turbotax2012download.net

No comments:

Post a Comment