Friday, March 8, 2013

Q&A: Employer made a mistake in my W2 with my earnings, now I have to return some of my promised tax-return money?

Question by baseballfan: Employer made a mistake in my W2 with my earnings, now I have to return some of my promised tax-return money?
I filed taxes, everything was going good until I got a letter from one of my employers saying they made a mistake in my “wages and tips” section, in the letter it said that I needed to make a amendment. It’s like 1 thousand dollars difference, but my accountant says that I will have to give a lot of the money back (I got like 1,000 bucks back). What can I do?!
So is there any way of make my employer pay back some of that money? My accountant is charging me for the whole amendment thing, do you guys think I can get somethings out of them due to their mistake?
I already got the corrected W-2. It’s like one thousand dollars difference. Most of my original return tax money (if not all of it) will be canceled out by this mistake my employer made. Any suggestions of what to do?

Best answer:

Answer by Badger Boise
Your employer should be sending you a “corrected” W2. Even though he has sent you a letter explaining the error, do not file an amended return until you have received the corrected W2 and your original refund from the IRS. When you complete form 1040X, you will attach a copy of the new W2 to the amendment along with your repayment of overpaid funds due to the initial error. The amendment must be mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. If you filed a state tax return, you will need to file an amendment to that return also and return any refund over payments also.

Add your own answer in the comments!


Q&A: Employer made a mistake in my W2 with my earnings, now I have to return some of my promised tax-return money?

Want to buy TurboTax? Check out http://turbotax2012download.net

No comments:

Post a Comment