Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Do I have to worry the IRS will audit me now for having to report an amended return?

Question by Eric S: Do I have to worry the IRS will audit me now for having to report an amended return?
I under-reported my tax liability unintentionally and will be correcting it with a 1040X Amended return.

I am not guilty I swear. I have a health savings account deduction that I noticed was not, according to the tax program I was using, showing up in my 1040 Form. I did not want to pay more than what I owed, so I reported the deduction in a separate box outside of the W-2 Form.

Then after it was too late and I E-filed the return, a coworker friend at work showed me that this deduction gets netted out in the amount shown for “Salary/wages/tips.”

Hence the health savings deducation is already taken out on the income line and so I double-deducted this. Now I am filing an Amended Return where the only difference is the health savings account deduction is only reported on the W-2.

Will I have a problem with the IRS over this? I will pay what I need to pay and before April 15th.
It was an innocent mistake because I assumed my salary/tips was not net of this deduction.

I even took tax accounting courses and I know how to treat adjustments and deductions, but it is such a trivial point that a W-2 form through a large company Employer could net a deduction into the “Salary line, that this was not a scenario ever tested in Tax Accounting courses.

Best answer:

Answer by card-ron
As long as you amend your return and pay the additional taxes due by April 17 (the deadline this year), there should be no repercussions from the IRS.

What do you think? Answer below!


Do I have to worry the IRS will audit me now for having to report an amended return?

Want to buy TurboTax? Check out http://turbotax2012download.net

No comments:

Post a Comment