Sunday, March 3, 2013

Do I have to pay tax if i lose money from the sale of a stock?

Question by sutton167: Do I have to pay tax if i lose money from the sale of a stock?
Do I have to pay capital gains on the profit or the whole sale of an security? For example: Say I bought $ 1,000 worth of a stock and sold it for $ 750 for a loss of $ 250. Would I pay tax on the $ 750 or pay no capital gain tax at all?

Best answer:

Answer by chatsplas@sbcglobal.net
You have no capital gain and thus no capital gain tax
You have a capital loss which can offset other capital gains
Short-term to short term and long term to long term capital gain/loss offset
And don’t forget the expenses of sale and purchase

Add your own answer in the comments!


Do I have to pay tax if i lose money from the sale of a stock?

Want to buy TurboTax? Check out http://turbotax2012download.net

No comments:

Post a Comment